General sessions FOSS4G 2023
The aim of the conference is twofold: the exchange of information and experiences between users of geographic data and Free and Open Source software for processing geographic information and the possibility for new or potential users to discover the functionality of these systems and the availability of data, and to meet developers and experienced users.
Talks are expected on experiences both in the use of free geographic data and metadata, and in the use or development of free and open source geographic software. Your contribution could present all about how you use open source geospatial software, how it helps to solve your company/organization problems, a new development you are involved in and what it has improved, etc. in the various application fields.
Submissions promoting restricted licensed software will not be accepted. This is a Free Open Source Software conference and FOSS is the main interest.
When submitting a talk, you will be asked to select a general Track that best defines your contribution.
You have also to select one general Theme that best defines your proposal.
Next, you will need to assign a number between 1 and *4 indicating the level of technical complexity of your contribution. 1 means that the audience can have minimal technical knowledge related to your submission’s subject to understand it, 4 means that your audience must be highly technical to get the most out of your talk.
Furthermore, you are encouraged to give indication of resources (video, web pages, papers, etc.) to read in advance, that will help get up to speed on advanced topics.
There are no formal indications when preparing your contribution for FOSS4G, but please consider the following suggestions:
* FOSS4G’s backbone is open source, so make sure you clearly indicate what is (are) the open source project(s) essential in your talk;
* if you talk of new developments or a completely new open source project, please make sure you point to its repository(ies). You’ll be speaking in a room full of geeks with computers and high-speed internet;
* the more suitable the selections of topic, theme and level of technical complexity are, the better shaped the final program will be. So, please, help us optimize your time at FOSS4G 2023;
* we believe in equality, so all presenters have the same exact amount of time to present their work – 20 minutes for the talk, 5 for Q&A and 5 for changing rooms. Please consider that when preparing your slides;
* last, but not least, the success of this event lies in the responsible actions of all participants and organizers alike. If after you have confirmed participation, you or the co-authors are no longer able to present, please let us know as soon as possible.
FOSS4G is the international geospatial community’s event, thus the main selection of talks will be done through the open community voting process. The highest-scored ones will automatically be included in the program, while the others will be reviewed by the FOSS4G 2023 Prizren volunteer Program Committee.
We will make sure that the conference program will be well-balanced and diverse. Moreover, the Program Committee will work hard to ensure that every OSGeo project has its proper representation. If you are part of some FOSS4G project and want to propose a special session, contact us to make sure we consider the proposal carefully.